TOP EATS TO BIKE ON - Recipe for Spain's favourite dish, Paella!
Experiment in the kitchen, make a Paella and bring that taste of Spain home!
Remember when we wrote about the most popular dish in Spain a couple days ago?
Yes, you are right, we are talking about paella, the famous rice dish that everyone wants to try when coming on our bike tours in Spain!
As you can imagine, there are a lot of different ways to cook this exquisite dish, and most of them depend on the region you visit.
Just in time for the weekend, we are going to show you one of the most common paella recipes, but don’t forget that it’s just about time, as you will experience lots of hits and misses with this Spanish classic until you get that flavour you fell in love with when you visited Spain.
And, drum roll please,...… here it is!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 4-6 servings
Ingredients to Paella:
• 1/ 4 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil (of course!)
• 2 completely sliced Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
• 1 Spanish onion, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1/2 cup, peas
• 1 can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
• Handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped,
• Generous pinch of saffron
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 cups short grain Spanish rice
• 6 cups water, warm
• 1 dozen clams
• 2 1/” cups of peeled shrimp,
• 1 cup of pieces of Chicken
How to Do it!
1. Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté the chorizo until browned, Remove from heat
3. Brown chicken next
4. Add salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Remove from heat.
6. In the same pan, sauté the onions, garlic, and parsley.
7. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat.
8. Add tomatoes and cook
9. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains.
10. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid.
11. Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron.
12. Add the clams and shrimp, (takes about 8 minutes cooking time)
13. Leave to simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes.
The paella is done when the rice looks fluffy - (don't forget to check the sides, where it cooks the slowest)